e n t r i e s
p r o f i l e
t a g b o a r d
l i n k s
Any Spare Change?
written at Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I was at church on Sunday and I happened to meet an old pastor and his wife who moved to New Zealand from Rhodesia (Present day Zimbabwe), we had a light hearted conversation and I happened to ask, "Say do you have one of those thousand dollar notes?" So the old pastor replied, "I have just the thing."

He reached out into his wallet and pulled out an old, slightly tattered, 10,000 dollar Zimbabwe note. He also added that he played a joke on a shop lady here in New Zealand, "Do you happen to have some spare change for this note?" We both laughed. But I think what he brought back is part of the grim reality that is going on in Zimbabwe now.




This pastor was serving his National Service in Rhodesia in his younger days. I can imagine the things he experienced would definitely make all of us Singaporean NS guys seem like shy little boys with toy guns and chocolate bars.

A 10,000 dollar note like that can't even buy you a loaf of bread or bag of oranges in Zimbabwe. I guess I will never look at my dollar note the same way again. It is through these times you thank God for the provisions that He has given you.