e n t r i e s
p r o f i l e
t a g b o a r d
l i n k s
The Humble Plantain
written at Thursday, July 9, 2009

I was browsing the grocery store and came across a very weird looking Banana, it was shorter and much fatter than the usual ones you see at the supermarket. Curious, I bought a bunch and brought it home. The label said it was a "Plantain" and being an adventurous little boy I decided to do some research on the internet! I came up with many interesting findings.

As I have discovered, a Plantain is distantly related to a Banana but it's not to be confused with one. The Plantain is more starchy and less sweet than a regular banana, and it can be eaten at any stage of the ripening process. The Plantain starts off green in colour and slowly turns yellow with some brown patches on it, then turning completely black when it has ripened completely. Because of hydrolysis the starches will be converted into sugar, so as the Plantain becomes more ripe it becomes sweeter as well.

Because of it's high starch content it can be used as a staple food to many different meats and dishes, the Latin Americans call it the "Potato of the air". Very interesting isn't it! We fried a Plantain a few days back and ate it with vanilla ice cream as recommended on the internet! It was AMAZING!

That's it, fried Plantain is going be the substitue Goreng Pisang for Elliot while he is in New Zealand.