Alright I noticed that the dates are different according to each country on when Father's day actually is. In New Zealand it is 6th September where the whole country celebrates fatherhood. But as much as the celebration is going on, there is something even deeper to be thought about here.
Amongst all of the happiness and the joys that fatherhood can bring in this world, one of the things which is severely lacking in this present day is the fact that fatherhood as lost its sense of purpose. A purpose of which could be the only one which ultimately matters for all eternity, the God-given responsibility to bringing His kingdom to the household.
I was reflecting Job 29, as Job contrasts his former prosperity with his present misery. Looking at his past made me think a lot about what kind of father he was, what kind of person he was, the life that he led, and this made me draw a lot of qualities of what a father's role is. It will be a bit too big to paste the entire chapter here, but I encourage you guys to share in this little read up with me :)
These are the qualities of a God-fearing father.
1. Job had a deep and strong relationship with God. His children were around him. Verses 1-5 talks God being the lamp which shone over his head and that by His light he walked through the darkness.
2. Verses 12-17 tells me that Job gave to the poor, helped the orphans, he comforted the widow's heart, he was eyes to the blind and feet to the lame, he was father to the needy. At the same time he stood for justice, he "broke the jaws of the wicked" and his "justice was like a robe and a turban", he was clothed with righteousness. From these few verses, I kind of questioned if I will be able to follow that kind of example as well!
3. Verses 21-23 tells me that the words of fathers really matter in the household, it really serves as a lasting impact, what seems to be the slightest thing. "To me they listened and waited and kept silent for my counsel. After my words they did not speak again, and my speech dropped on them. They waited for me as for the rain and opened their mouth as for the spring rain." Job mentored his children, his people, they looked to him for counsel.
Gosh, seems like a lot of responsibilities. Well besides the chores at home, we have this to think about!? When all seems to weigh down on you, the worries of fatherhood, the feelings of not being an adequate father, be encouraged from this verse. God is the greatest Father of all.
Deuteronomy 1:29-31
Then I said to you, "Do not be terrified; do not be afraid of them. The LORD your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as he did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes, and in the desert. There you saw how the LORD your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place."
Happy Father's Day Dad! Just want to let you know, you've done a great job raising us to be who we are today. Happy Father's Day to all the other Dad's out there in this world, one of them being Gladwin :) I still remember the funny quote about fatherhood that we laughed over at the book sale. A bit weird for a 20 year old to be blogging about this, but it just came to me. After all, I can't be single and children-less for long right? Anyhow, may this post serve as an encouragement to all the Dads and the Dad-to-be's out there!
For me, I still have a lot to learn, a lot to experience, a lot to draw from His word with regards to the qualities of fatherhood. It's not like I'm getting married soon! But this is applicable and relevant, the learning starts now and it will last till the day I drop.
Once again, Happy Father's Day.