Whatever It Takes
written at Saturday, October 17, 2009

I'm sure many of you would have heard the popular band called Lifehouse. One of my favorite bands of all time. We have heard their singles like "You and Me" and "Whatever it Takes" from their previous albums, we would be making covers of their music at acoustic sessions and cafe stages. I got curious and decided to search them up since I heard that 2 of their band members are Christian, Jason Wade (Lead singer of the band) in particular.
So after doing some searching on Google I happened to read up the mini biographies of Jason and what exactly influenced his songwriting and the way he perceives the world as a Christian, also thus influencing his contributions to his band.
Jason grew up in a Christian home, his parents were missionaries in Hong Kong, he played music at the church, later joined Vineyard which was where he met fellow bassist Sergio Andrade, Delirious was one of his biggest influences.
Has a part of the interview...
"We are not a 'Christian band,' but I'm a Christian, and the bass player [Sergio] is a Christian," Jason told UCLA's Daily Bruin Online.
And then in a Rolling Stone magazine interview, Jason said, "My music is spiritually based, but we don't want to be labeled as a 'Christian band,' because all of a sudden people's walls come up and they won't listen to your music and what you have to say."
Jason apparently feels that using the word "Christian" to describe Lifehouse is a turnoff to people. His reason for feeling this way may have something to do with how he felt other Christians treated his family during his parents' divorce, which took place when Jason was 12.
"[The divorce was] the turning point in my life," Jason told Rolling Stone. "I really disagree with a lot of things that the church does—the Christian church. Just religion in general, I see a lot of things that seem off. I saw firsthand how someone like my dad—maybe he fell, maybe he made some mistakes—but then people from the church would basically say, 'You're going to hell.' And then turn their back on him. To me, God is all about love and mercy and compassion, and I don't see a lot of that today."
I think we can safely say that Lifehouse is a band with Christians in it, however there are many songs of theirs which clearly has Christian themes. Through the hardships and the struggles that he faced in his younger years, his lyrics so often reflects what is going on and what he is thinking. How interesting how a simple set of lyrics produced by an artist can tell so much. What do you guys think?
Whatever It Takes
written at Saturday, October 17, 2009

I'm sure many of you would have heard the popular band called Lifehouse. One of my favorite bands of all time. We have heard their singles like "You and Me" and "Whatever it Takes" from their previous albums, we would be making covers of their music at acoustic sessions and cafe stages. I got curious and decided to search them up since I heard that 2 of their band members are Christian, Jason Wade (Lead singer of the band) in particular.
So after doing some searching on Google I happened to read up the mini biographies of Jason and what exactly influenced his songwriting and the way he perceives the world as a Christian, also thus influencing his contributions to his band.
Jason grew up in a Christian home, his parents were missionaries in Hong Kong, he played music at the church, later joined Vineyard which was where he met fellow bassist Sergio Andrade, Delirious was one of his biggest influences.
Has a part of the interview...
"We are not a 'Christian band,' but I'm a Christian, and the bass player [Sergio] is a Christian," Jason told UCLA's Daily Bruin Online.
And then in a Rolling Stone magazine interview, Jason said, "My music is spiritually based, but we don't want to be labeled as a 'Christian band,' because all of a sudden people's walls come up and they won't listen to your music and what you have to say."
Jason apparently feels that using the word "Christian" to describe Lifehouse is a turnoff to people. His reason for feeling this way may have something to do with how he felt other Christians treated his family during his parents' divorce, which took place when Jason was 12.
"[The divorce was] the turning point in my life," Jason told Rolling Stone. "I really disagree with a lot of things that the church does—the Christian church. Just religion in general, I see a lot of things that seem off. I saw firsthand how someone like my dad—maybe he fell, maybe he made some mistakes—but then people from the church would basically say, 'You're going to hell.' And then turn their back on him. To me, God is all about love and mercy and compassion, and I don't see a lot of that today."
I think we can safely say that Lifehouse is a band with Christians in it, however there are many songs of theirs which clearly has Christian themes. Through the hardships and the struggles that he faced in his younger years, his lyrics so often reflects what is going on and what he is thinking. How interesting how a simple set of lyrics produced by an artist can tell so much. What do you guys think?
Profile
Knowing
What matters supremely, therefore, is not
in the last analysis, the fact that I know God,
but the larger fact which underlies it --
the fact that He knows me.
J. I. Packer