e n t r i e s
p r o f i l e
t a g b o a r d
l i n k s
Respectable Sins
written at Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Been reading a book by Jerry Bridges called "Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate." This book is an eye opener because it is a refreshing reminder of how easily we can overlook and be simply oblivious to the seemingly subtle sins in our lives.

At times, we complain, we bicker, we rant on about the obvious sins (homosexuality, abortion, murder), we are quick to condemn them, it is too easy. And yet, we virtually ignore our own sins of gossip, pride, envy, bitterness lust and even our lack of the gracious qualities of the fruits of the Spirit. These sins we deem as acceptable or even respectable.

James 2:10, “Whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.”

I need to be honest with myself, these subtle sins listed above, and many more, I need to ask God to open my eyes to the sins I have been tolerating or have even refused to acknowledge as being present in my life. I guess the first step is to be honest and take it with humility. Most of all, the book of James also mentions that we are to be doers of the Word not just hearers. It is definitely a big challenge. Repentance isn't really sitting down and doing nothing, I have to wage war against my soul, to wage war against sin.

It is a big challenge, but I know the reality, the truth that is so sweet, it brings a smile to my face. What is this truth? "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost!" As Paul mentioned in the book of Timothy. I know that Jesus isn't against me, He is for me! It's not like He'll be sitting on His throne saying, "When are you going to get your act together, when are you going to buck up and work on that sin of yours." Instead, He comes down to us and says, "We will work on your sin, but meanwhile, I want you to know that I do not count it against you." Wow...

My dear Friends, each day, let’s always remember and be assured! Let’s be assured that God no longer counts our sin against us, and that in our struggles with sin, He is for us, produces in us a strong sense of gratitude for what He has done and is presently doing for us through Christ. To a new day, to new surrender, to Him who redeems every part of each day.

John Newton (Writer of the hymn Amazing Grace) – “I am a great sinner, but Christ is a great Saviour”

Let the water and the blood,
From thy riven side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure,
Cleanse me from its guilt and power – Rock of Ages