Writings On Paper
written at Monday, December 28, 2009
A few temporary workers came to join us at the work place, they have been here for about 1 week already. They all have a hearing disability so they communicate mainly by sign language. I got to know a few of them a bit better by communicating on pieces of paper.
I had a very meaningful conversation with one of them today. It took us quite sometime to get our messages across because we had to write on the pieces of paper but it was well worth it. One thing that really hit me in the face was the fact that I take for granted my ability to hear. I love music, I love sounds, I love hearing things, I love the laughter of family and friends and hearing the sounds of the things around me, how often do I take these things for granted? So she shared her struggles of having this disability, she shared about the ridicule she faced. While she shared, I felt as though my heart leaped out of its place. And somehow, I felt lead to share this.
Psalm 139:14I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
I thank God for these little opportunities that you can share with people. It doesn't have to be big, nothing like standing on stage with a loud speaker announcing the gospel. But little scribbles on small pieces of paper. Praise the Lord :)
And one more thing, a big hearty congratulations to Gladwin and Rachel on the arrival of their precious baby Athanasius Lee!
Writings On Paper
written at Monday, December 28, 2009
A few temporary workers came to join us at the work place, they have been here for about 1 week already. They all have a hearing disability so they communicate mainly by sign language. I got to know a few of them a bit better by communicating on pieces of paper.
I had a very meaningful conversation with one of them today. It took us quite sometime to get our messages across because we had to write on the pieces of paper but it was well worth it. One thing that really hit me in the face was the fact that I take for granted my ability to hear. I love music, I love sounds, I love hearing things, I love the laughter of family and friends and hearing the sounds of the things around me, how often do I take these things for granted? So she shared her struggles of having this disability, she shared about the ridicule she faced. While she shared, I felt as though my heart leaped out of its place. And somehow, I felt lead to share this.
Psalm 139:14I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
I thank God for these little opportunities that you can share with people. It doesn't have to be big, nothing like standing on stage with a loud speaker announcing the gospel. But little scribbles on small pieces of paper. Praise the Lord :)
And one more thing, a big hearty congratulations to Gladwin and Rachel on the arrival of their precious baby Athanasius Lee!
Profile
Knowing
What matters supremely, therefore, is not
in the last analysis, the fact that I know God,
but the larger fact which underlies it --
the fact that He knows me.
J. I. Packer