The Medicine
written at Wednesday, February 3, 2010
I was doing a couple of my blog browsing rounds today and I happened to read John Mark McMillan's blog, it has been a few months since I have first heard his song "How He Loves." I remember the first time hearing it, the first impression I had was, "Wow check out the imagery in this song." McMillan is a poet. For a long time I have never pictured such imagery in a song. Church sang it a couple of times, there was a little debate and talk going on about the use of the lyrics in the song in a congregational setting. My take is simple, appropriate for personal listening, and boy does it deliver, I am going to purchase his album "The Medicine" as soon as I see it in a store.

I was led to browse and sample more of his music on his website, was on it for the last 1hour, striking imagery, evocative sounds. Was reading his blog and reading his thoughts about Christ, Culture and Worship. Very interesting views. Thought provoking. I think it takes time to get used to his portrayals and his writing style.Would like to quote.
"It was what each offering meant to the giver that God was concerned about. God doesn't need the sheep or grain. He doesn't need your song to feel good about himself. He wants you. If you come with the song then God wants the song. Otherwise it's just an activity, a program... a ritual." - The following statement he made got me thinking about the songs that we choose to sing together in the congregation, do the songs reveal Jesus to them? Are they shaken? Are they stirred? Are they moved? Knowing who He is. Does it reveal His character to them? Essentially, it is empty if the song just incites heartless and mindless singing, for the sake of it.
Okay so what do I think about John Mark McMillan? He has something to say, I would like to listen to it. This is my reason for buying his album.I'll buy the album, I'll digest every bit of it. While doing so I'll read the lyrics. I'll digest that too. I'll soak in every bit of it. Turning off the shuffle on my player, sitting back, closing my eyes, and enjoying a well-thought and imagined work of art.
The Medicine
written at Wednesday, February 3, 2010
I was doing a couple of my blog browsing rounds today and I happened to read John Mark McMillan's blog, it has been a few months since I have first heard his song "How He Loves." I remember the first time hearing it, the first impression I had was, "Wow check out the imagery in this song." McMillan is a poet. For a long time I have never pictured such imagery in a song. Church sang it a couple of times, there was a little debate and talk going on about the use of the lyrics in the song in a congregational setting. My take is simple, appropriate for personal listening, and boy does it deliver, I am going to purchase his album "The Medicine" as soon as I see it in a store.

I was led to browse and sample more of his music on his website, was on it for the last 1hour, striking imagery, evocative sounds. Was reading his blog and reading his thoughts about Christ, Culture and Worship. Very interesting views. Thought provoking. I think it takes time to get used to his portrayals and his writing style.Would like to quote.
"It was what each offering meant to the giver that God was concerned about. God doesn't need the sheep or grain. He doesn't need your song to feel good about himself. He wants you. If you come with the song then God wants the song. Otherwise it's just an activity, a program... a ritual." - The following statement he made got me thinking about the songs that we choose to sing together in the congregation, do the songs reveal Jesus to them? Are they shaken? Are they stirred? Are they moved? Knowing who He is. Does it reveal His character to them? Essentially, it is empty if the song just incites heartless and mindless singing, for the sake of it.
Okay so what do I think about John Mark McMillan? He has something to say, I would like to listen to it. This is my reason for buying his album.I'll buy the album, I'll digest every bit of it. While doing so I'll read the lyrics. I'll digest that too. I'll soak in every bit of it. Turning off the shuffle on my player, sitting back, closing my eyes, and enjoying a well-thought and imagined work of art.
Profile
Knowing
What matters supremely, therefore, is not
in the last analysis, the fact that I know God,
but the larger fact which underlies it --
the fact that He knows me.
J. I. Packer