Still Being Joyful
written at Monday, March 8, 2010
Dug up another post I made quite some time back in my old blog, re-posting these things and re-looking at them allows me to review what I've reviewed in the past, it's refreshing, I wish to share it with you guys.
Habakkuk 3:17-18"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Saviour."
One can only wonder how Habakkuk can gather such strength to trust in the Lord no matter what circumstances he was facing. These verses represent one of the strongest expressions of faith we will find in the whole Bible, as Habakkuk determines to rejoice in God even when everything else in life goes wrong. I asked myself the question, how do you rejoice, how can I stand and rejoice when the circumstances around me are falling?
It is easy to trust in God when the fig tree is budding and there are grapes on the vines, when the olive crop succeeds and the fields are producing food, when you have plenty of sheep and cattle in reserve.
Habakkuk determined to rejoice in God despite visible circumstances, even if he did not see any visible signs of God’s presence or favour. F.F. Bruce wrote, “It is right and proper to voice appreciation of God’s goodness when he bestows all that is necessary for life, health and prosperity. But when these things are lacking, to rejoice in God for his own sake is evidence of pure faith.”

Habakkuk is simply saying, “Though you have no visible hope for the future, and what you were trusting in the present has let you down, and you have no reserves from the past to fall back on - still rejoice in the Lord, still be joyful in God.”
Why? Because He is God your Saviour who will deliver you in his time and will not let the righteous fall. How do I exercise faith during the worst of times?
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
Still Being Joyful
written at Monday, March 8, 2010
Dug up another post I made quite some time back in my old blog, re-posting these things and re-looking at them allows me to review what I've reviewed in the past, it's refreshing, I wish to share it with you guys.
Habakkuk 3:17-18"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Saviour."
One can only wonder how Habakkuk can gather such strength to trust in the Lord no matter what circumstances he was facing. These verses represent one of the strongest expressions of faith we will find in the whole Bible, as Habakkuk determines to rejoice in God even when everything else in life goes wrong. I asked myself the question, how do you rejoice, how can I stand and rejoice when the circumstances around me are falling?
It is easy to trust in God when the fig tree is budding and there are grapes on the vines, when the olive crop succeeds and the fields are producing food, when you have plenty of sheep and cattle in reserve.
Habakkuk determined to rejoice in God despite visible circumstances, even if he did not see any visible signs of God’s presence or favour. F.F. Bruce wrote, “It is right and proper to voice appreciation of God’s goodness when he bestows all that is necessary for life, health and prosperity. But when these things are lacking, to rejoice in God for his own sake is evidence of pure faith.”

Habakkuk is simply saying, “Though you have no visible hope for the future, and what you were trusting in the present has let you down, and you have no reserves from the past to fall back on - still rejoice in the Lord, still be joyful in God.”
Why? Because He is God your Saviour who will deliver you in his time and will not let the righteous fall. How do I exercise faith during the worst of times?
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
Profile
Knowing
What matters supremely, therefore, is not
in the last analysis, the fact that I know God,
but the larger fact which underlies it --
the fact that He knows me.
J. I. Packer