The Long Tomorrow
written at Sunday, June 6, 2010
It was a gloomy, rainy morning. I got washed and headed to church, the sky was dark and the wind was howling, a moderately strong easterly. Thinking about mornings like these, not a very inviting - it made me think about heaven. It made me think about heaven because, although the weather was terrible, I felt it wouldn't be enough even if the weather here was perfect. Something told me that this was most certainly like looking through some dirty filthy window pane. Almost impossible to see, yet we catch just a glimpse, a glimmer of the greatness to come. I think I know what the song captures, what it means, "Soon and very soon."
No more cancer, no more disease. No more welling up with pain inside or overflowing with tears. No more fighting. No more orphans or parents dying. No more accidents and frantic calls for help. No more starvation, no more broken homes. No more divorce, no more anger, no more worry, no more stress, no more aches and pains, no more bloody knees or broken faces. No more rumors, no more hurt feelings, no more lack of love.
This place - heaven - that Jesus is preparing for us. I can only imagine, it has to be better than any other experience that this world can offer. And it is there we shall see His face. That struck me so deeply, it is really something that is incomprehensible as of now. Here I am, a sinful man, undeserving of any forgiveness. And there He was, Jesus, through Him I have received forgiveness. I am curious, but I think I should be more than curious, I want to long for, I want to desire, I want to yearn to see the face of the One who has forgiven me, the One who has forgiven me of wrongs that no one should forgive, of sin so deep that no one would want to see.
I think we all should long for Him in a radical way.
A. W. Tozer has said, “Let no one apologize for the powerful emphasis Christianity lays upon the doctrine of the world to come. Right there lies its immense superiority to everything else within the whole sphere of human thought or experience. We do well to think of the long tomorrow.”
The long tomorrow. Oh how I long to think of the long tomorrow!
The Long Tomorrow
written at Sunday, June 6, 2010
It was a gloomy, rainy morning. I got washed and headed to church, the sky was dark and the wind was howling, a moderately strong easterly. Thinking about mornings like these, not a very inviting - it made me think about heaven. It made me think about heaven because, although the weather was terrible, I felt it wouldn't be enough even if the weather here was perfect. Something told me that this was most certainly like looking through some dirty filthy window pane. Almost impossible to see, yet we catch just a glimpse, a glimmer of the greatness to come. I think I know what the song captures, what it means, "Soon and very soon."
No more cancer, no more disease. No more welling up with pain inside or overflowing with tears. No more fighting. No more orphans or parents dying. No more accidents and frantic calls for help. No more starvation, no more broken homes. No more divorce, no more anger, no more worry, no more stress, no more aches and pains, no more bloody knees or broken faces. No more rumors, no more hurt feelings, no more lack of love.
This place - heaven - that Jesus is preparing for us. I can only imagine, it has to be better than any other experience that this world can offer. And it is there we shall see His face. That struck me so deeply, it is really something that is incomprehensible as of now. Here I am, a sinful man, undeserving of any forgiveness. And there He was, Jesus, through Him I have received forgiveness. I am curious, but I think I should be more than curious, I want to long for, I want to desire, I want to yearn to see the face of the One who has forgiven me, the One who has forgiven me of wrongs that no one should forgive, of sin so deep that no one would want to see.
I think we all should long for Him in a radical way.
A. W. Tozer has said, “Let no one apologize for the powerful emphasis Christianity lays upon the doctrine of the world to come. Right there lies its immense superiority to everything else within the whole sphere of human thought or experience. We do well to think of the long tomorrow.”
The long tomorrow. Oh how I long to think of the long tomorrow!
Profile
Knowing
What matters supremely, therefore, is not
in the last analysis, the fact that I know God,
but the larger fact which underlies it --
the fact that He knows me.
J. I. Packer