Pilgram
written at Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Pilgrim, a musical production of Pilgrim's Progress written by Janice and Cathy Mays that had its world premiere at Covenant Life Church. But the real brilliance of Pilgrim is the theology of the script. The scene below is between Goodwill, played by an energetic Irish woman, and Christian. Christian has not yet been to the cross. Watch how the theology unfolds:
Christian: I'm a mess. I need get myself cleaned up before I get there [to the cross].
Goodwill: You can't. Oh, lots of pilgrims put off going to the cross so they can clean themselves up first, but you can't do that on your own. The King is the only one who can make you clean. He loves you, despite your dirt.
Christian: I guess it's good to know He loves me...(shrugs)...makes me feel better about myself.
Goodwill: Oh, laddie! He doesn't love ye to make you feel better about yerself. He loves ye because that's who He is! He died for ye to purchase ye back from the Prince of Destruction. He plans ta do a work in ye, Pilgrim, ta conform ye to His lovin' image. And He wants to make sure ye git home safely.
Christian: Home?! NO! I want to go to the Celestial City.
Goodwill: Once you git to the cross, the Celestial City becomes yer new home.
Christian: Oh, right. That's why I'm here. That's why I made my decision.
Goodwill: Your decision.
Christian: Yeah, you know, to come down this road. I'm glad I'm finally doing it.
Goodwill: (Chuckling) Ah, lad, ye think yer desire to walk this road began with you? No, Laddie. It began with the King. He put that desire in ye. He started it! On yer own, ye wouldn't have come this way. And I'll tell ye somethin' more. It's a blessed promise from that book [the Bible]. Since this wasn't your idea but His, the same One who started His good work in ye will carry it through. Right to the finish.
Pilgram
written at Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Pilgrim, a musical production of Pilgrim's Progress written by Janice and Cathy Mays that had its world premiere at Covenant Life Church. But the real brilliance of Pilgrim is the theology of the script. The scene below is between Goodwill, played by an energetic Irish woman, and Christian. Christian has not yet been to the cross. Watch how the theology unfolds:
Christian: I'm a mess. I need get myself cleaned up before I get there [to the cross].
Goodwill: You can't. Oh, lots of pilgrims put off going to the cross so they can clean themselves up first, but you can't do that on your own. The King is the only one who can make you clean. He loves you, despite your dirt.
Christian: I guess it's good to know He loves me...(shrugs)...makes me feel better about myself.
Goodwill: Oh, laddie! He doesn't love ye to make you feel better about yerself. He loves ye because that's who He is! He died for ye to purchase ye back from the Prince of Destruction. He plans ta do a work in ye, Pilgrim, ta conform ye to His lovin' image. And He wants to make sure ye git home safely.
Christian: Home?! NO! I want to go to the Celestial City.
Goodwill: Once you git to the cross, the Celestial City becomes yer new home.
Christian: Oh, right. That's why I'm here. That's why I made my decision.
Goodwill: Your decision.
Christian: Yeah, you know, to come down this road. I'm glad I'm finally doing it.
Goodwill: (Chuckling) Ah, lad, ye think yer desire to walk this road began with you? No, Laddie. It began with the King. He put that desire in ye. He started it! On yer own, ye wouldn't have come this way. And I'll tell ye somethin' more. It's a blessed promise from that book [the Bible]. Since this wasn't your idea but His, the same One who started His good work in ye will carry it through. Right to the finish.
Profile
Knowing
What matters supremely, therefore, is not
in the last analysis, the fact that I know God,
but the larger fact which underlies it --
the fact that He knows me.
J. I. Packer