Some Thoughts
written at Friday, July 16, 2010
Came across this post in John Mark McMillan's blog. Thought provoking, got me thinking a lot about music, the Christian life in general. He wanted thoughts from people about this statement, "They would have to sing better songs for me to learn to have faith in their Redeemer"— Friedrich Nietzsche.
I had a read of the comments, differing opinions and views towards this comment. It seems that people were commenting about the existing quality of song lyrics and contemporary music in general. I would like to investigate and give a response to this statement.
This statement made me ask the bigger questions, which is what is faith? How is this faith originated? I think creativity, the cleverness of the song aside, because one which seems less creative doesn't mean that it is any less of an offering to God. I have to ask the bigger questions as to what had caused Nietzsche to make this statement.
Furthermore, I stumbled across one of the comments under John Mark's statement, a passerby added "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." — Mahatma Gandhi.
I believe that better songs simply wouldn't cut it, not in a million years. I have to disagree with Nietzsche if I were to interpret his statement literally, where his reference to songs being the actual songs that we sing, the music, the lyrics. However, if I were to interpret his statement to be a cynical and somewhat sarcastic poke at Christians who sing on a Sunday or on any day for that matter, and lives a life which is quite the opposite of the song that they sing, hypocrisy. I am therefore inclined to agree, because I am no exception. I think I would go with the second statement, because it ties in very well to what Gandhi has mentioned as well.
A challenge for me to live the Christian life, not to lose sight of Him in every everyday situation.
Some Thoughts
written at Friday, July 16, 2010
Came across this post in John Mark McMillan's blog. Thought provoking, got me thinking a lot about music, the Christian life in general. He wanted thoughts from people about this statement, "They would have to sing better songs for me to learn to have faith in their Redeemer"— Friedrich Nietzsche.
I had a read of the comments, differing opinions and views towards this comment. It seems that people were commenting about the existing quality of song lyrics and contemporary music in general. I would like to investigate and give a response to this statement.
This statement made me ask the bigger questions, which is what is faith? How is this faith originated? I think creativity, the cleverness of the song aside, because one which seems less creative doesn't mean that it is any less of an offering to God. I have to ask the bigger questions as to what had caused Nietzsche to make this statement.
Furthermore, I stumbled across one of the comments under John Mark's statement, a passerby added "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." — Mahatma Gandhi.
I believe that better songs simply wouldn't cut it, not in a million years. I have to disagree with Nietzsche if I were to interpret his statement literally, where his reference to songs being the actual songs that we sing, the music, the lyrics. However, if I were to interpret his statement to be a cynical and somewhat sarcastic poke at Christians who sing on a Sunday or on any day for that matter, and lives a life which is quite the opposite of the song that they sing, hypocrisy. I am therefore inclined to agree, because I am no exception. I think I would go with the second statement, because it ties in very well to what Gandhi has mentioned as well.
A challenge for me to live the Christian life, not to lose sight of Him in every everyday situation.
Profile
Knowing
What matters supremely, therefore, is not
in the last analysis, the fact that I know God,
but the larger fact which underlies it --
the fact that He knows me.
J. I. Packer